UsrMove feature

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 27 09:23:11 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 07:52 AM, David Tardon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 03:23:55PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>> Besides this, one may have the opinion, that no binaries should be
>> allowed in /usr/lib/. Fedora never enforced this rule, because RH has a
>> tradition of being sloppy wrt. /usr/lib/<package>.
>
> One may also have the opinion that you voiced your anti-RH attitude
> often enough.
  Rubbish, I do not have an anti-RH attitude.  It's just that there are
people on RH's payrole, of whom I feel are abusing their position @RH.
I also feel that RH often presses through decisions and immature,
questionable piece of SW in ways, I consider to be violent.

Besides this, wrt. my sentence above - RH distros ever since they are
around, have been using /usr/lib/<package> as "last escape to the FHS".
It's a RH tradition, nothing more, nothing less - It doesn't strctly
comply to the FHS, but it doesn't hurt much in most cases.

> Seriously, anyone reading this list already knows that if
> a guy from Red Hat does something, whatever it may be, you are against
> it.

Well, this is a misperception - I am remaining silent on the vast
majority of occasions and only become vocal when I feel things are
derailing and/or regressing.

It's just that RH very often is involved in leading roles of such
incidents and that Fedora often is proud of cases.
This doesn't mean by any means, I hate RH or I think "all @RHs are
assholes". RH is a big enterprise, so they inevitably have people with
all kinds of attitudes and skills on their payrole - Rest assured, the
vast majority is doing an excellent job, but there are a few who do not.

But ... this "UsrMove" feature ... with all due respect, I was shocked
when reading it. To me, this proposal is the silliest and dumbest thing,
I have ever seen being proposed in Fedora.

> That said, I am eagerly awaiting your patches that make libreoffice use
> FHS instead of placing everything into /usr/lib/libreoffice.
Pardon, but are you expecting _me_ to do _your_ job? Should time permit,
I may check which steps would be required to make libreoffice more FHS
compliant, but my contingent of _spare time_, I have available for
Fedora already is overdrawn.

Ralf