UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Thu Oct 27 13:01:55 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 11:00 AM, Harald Hoyer wrote:

>>> Sometimes you have to clean up your room and tidy up the mess, which
>>> piled up over time. This cleanup can be done on one day and checked in
>>> by one person. It's not rocket science! It does not break anything,
>>> because the compat symlinks will _not_ go away.
>>
>> Every time someone says this, something winds up breaking anyway,
>> because of some kind of oddness like situations where the symlinks
>> aren't read or become recursive, or selinux issues (always a fun one)!
>
> I am running my F16 system with all these symlinks now for quiet a
> while. Despite the consolehelper symlinks, I have not encountered any
> problem. Even rpm updates seem to work fine. But I agree, the devil is
> in the detail, and we surely will find something, which does not work.
> But I don't think, these problems are severe and not easily fixable.

If you already have a system running that way how about if you put
together a document how to do this and let other people or even Fedora
QA test it out and run it through their testsuits?

That way we'd have a lot more eyes on it, could spot issues with it much
faster and could get the whole idea a solid ground before it's widely
introduced to Fedora and everything would already have been prepared for
it, avoiding exactly those possibly missed oddball or exotic scenarios.

Just my $0.02 after seeing you eating your own dogfood first (eeeewwww,
grosss! ;))).

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services     | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111