Notice of intent: patching glibc

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 22:39:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 22:28 +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 01:20:19PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Is there a specific reason glibc does this?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Can it not have a set of patches, one per change, as is usual practice?
>
> Fedora glibc sources are from git, and the bit diff is just generated
> diff between the upstream snapshot and corresponding Fedora snapshot,
> sans a few Fedora-only directories (which are packaged as extra tarball).

Jakub I guess this would be some more work but why don't you just use
git format-patch to get all the patches for the commits between the
baseline and the top of the tree ?

That would give you a set of discrete patches that mirror the commits
you have in the git tree.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York