bluez and hci's which initially come up as hid (was Re: Some days it just doesn't pay to update)

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Sep 3 08:10:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 09/02/2011 05:37 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> If we wanted to do things properly, we'd use the specs so that the
> transition between HID and HCI was invisible to the user. Except that we
> don't have the specs (or it would be fixed already, it's one of my major
> gripes for a number of years, and I've nagged Dell, Logitech and
> Broadcom a number of times for access to those).
>
> Hans, we need to make the switching opt-in. If you don't have time to
> work on it, I'd rather you reverted your last patch for now.

Hmm, may I point out that making the switching opt-in would be deviating
from our default behavior from F-12 onwards, as documented here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation/Bluetooth#Frequently_Asked_Questions

With that said, you're the Fedora bluetooth maintainer, so you are the
boss. The easiest way to make this opt-in, and I think also a good one,
is to just move the udev-rules and the hid2hci binary to their own
bluez-hid2hci sub-package. People who want to have their hid proxying
adapters to actually show up as HCI instead of HID can then do
yum install bluez-hid2hci

We could even have a %post script doing a
"udevadm trigger subsys=to-be-figured-out"

To avoid people needing to reboot / unplug the adapter after installing
the package. If you think this is a good plan, let me know and I'll implement
it.

Regards,

Hans