Notice of intent: patching glibc

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Sat Sep 3 11:43:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 09:38:46AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Fedora glibc sources are from git, and the bit diff is just generated
> > diff between the upstream snapshot and corresponding Fedora snapshot,
> > sans a few Fedora-only directories (which are packaged as extra tarball).
>
> That's not a reason.
>
> Why not keep the Fedora branch in git and make patches from it:
>
> https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/nice-rpm-git-patch-management-trick/
>
> This method is quite probably simpler than the one you're using now.

glibc is doing it that way for many years, even when it was diffing upstream
CVS trunk vs. Fedora CVS branch, not sure if the Fedora changes from CVS era
would result in something reasonable with your tricks, but moreover what
glibc does now is fully scripted in the Makefiles and it would be extra work
to change it to something different.  I'd say it is up to the Fedora glibc
maintainer to do it the way he prefers to (which is not me for a couple of
years now).

	Jakub