Best practices for patch management on RPM based packages?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 6 14:38:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Most of the packages I work with have very few patches so it's not all
> that difficult, but there are a couple of packages I'm working with
> that have a lot of patches and one of them has a very active upstream
> (which is a good thing!) but that also means that the patches need
> frequent adjustment.
>
> I like the idea of quilt but I can't seem to find the magic recipe to
> get it to integrate with rpmbuild.

The best is always to convince upstream to take your patch. Did you talk
to them? Why are they not merging in the patches?

For some packages I maintain, most of the differences are packaging related,
and I try to convince upstream to use a packaging/fedora/ directory, so I
can give them the updates to sync. (and I do the same for those packages I
am actually upstream for, such as openswan and xl2tpd)

Paul