Best practices for patch management on RPM based packages?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:04:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Panu Matilainen
<pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:

> Please mind your quotes, I didn't write the above.

My apologies!

>> What's wrong with
>>
>> quilt setup specname.spec

Because rpmbuild segregates everything, quilt doesn't seem to know how
to handle that.

When you create the directory tree for rpmbuild it (at some point) creates:

BUILD
BUILDROOT
RPMS
SOURCES
SPECS
SRPMS

Of course the only ones of intrest to quilt is SOURCES and SPECS but
that means they are not in the same directory.

I've tried changing into the SOURCES directory (so it will find the
source archive) at la:

quilt -v setup ../SPECS/<name>.spec

which gets me most of the way there. It actually md5sums all the files
in the SOURCE directory and runs %prep from the spec file but then it
tries to create the 'patches' and 'series' directories in the expanded
archive directory from the current directory
(SOURCES/<name>-<version>) instead of which they are actually expanded
(../BUILD/<name>-<version>/)

And even if it did, that's not a good place to put it because that
directory is removed and recreated every time you run rpmbuild (-bp,
-bc, -bi, etc).

Thanks,
Richard