http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SysVtoSystemd

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 6 21:40:30 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, September 6, 2011, 5:28:34 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>> There is one thing I have learned ( so far in the conversion process )
>> and that is that the current model surrounding maintainers and
>> maintainership followed by various policies surrounding that model which
>> we use here in Fedora as in maintainers "Own" their components (
>> ownership model ) cannot deal with large scale changes like systemd
>> introduces amongst other things and I will go so far to say that module
>> effectively became outdated when Fedora stopped being hobby distro (
>> which happened the instance people/corporates started depending on
>> fedora and the components it ships which kinda says it never was ) made
>> up of relatively few components with relatively few maintainers and an
>> hand full of users but that discussion belongs in another thread.

> That's exactly why I'm saying that global changes should be done globally,
> not by each package's maintainer.

I agree, provided you mean "not necessarily by each package's maintainer".

In some cases, folks working on the common goal do need the assistance of
the package maintainer.  Alternatively, the package maintainer may be able
to make the required changes in a timely manner on their own.

Package maintainers must not be allowed to emulate King Canute and attempt
to hold back the tide of change.