Compiling 32bit on 64bit Fedora

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:47:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
> system with 32-bit packages is to use mock: you can use mock -r
> fedora-16-i386 --shell to give yourself interactive access to a nice
> clean 32-bit buildroot, then install all the devel packages and
> compilers you need, and build your code. Might not be what you want, but
> I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't think yum will run inside the chroot by default so make sure
you install everything you need on the front end. I usually do it like
this (some steps may be able to be combined, but it works, so I
haven't experimented).

mock -r <config> --init
mock -r <config> --install <packages to install>
mock -r <config> --shell

The first two lines are also useful if you run into a situation where
you're working on a review request which has dependencies that are not
in the repos yet (i.e., may also be under review).

Richard