submitters +1ing their own packages

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Sep 8 00:28:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 07:20:19PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:00:57 +1000, PH (Peter) wrote:
>
> > sometimes a +1 after weeks in testing is the only or at least easy way to
> > nudge a package into stable.
> >
> > e.g: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libXi-1.4.3-2.fc15
> > even with my +1 still not there, and this isn't the only package I've done
> > this for.
>
> | Details
> |    Don't corrupt memory if the server sends unknown classes in XIQueryDevice.
>
> # rpm -qi libXi|grep -A2 ^De
> Description :
> X.Org X11 libXi runtime library
>
> # rpm -qd libXi
> /usr/share/doc/libXi-1.4.3/COPYING
>
> # rpm -ql libXi
> /usr/lib64/libXi.so.6
> /usr/lib64/libXi.so.6.1.0
> /usr/share/doc/libXi-1.4.3
> /usr/share/doc/libXi-1.4.3/COPYING
>
> No bug ticket number either.
> Your own +1 in bodhi is without a comment.
> Assuming I wanted to test this, what would I do?

ok, fair call, should've created a bug for this. This bug is triggered with
new features added in the next X server version (that's not even upstream).
Corruption happens when the XIQueryDevice reply includes input classes that
are not recognised by Xlib. You can't trigger this bug without having the
right git trees, but you can verify that the fix doesn't break anything by
running "xinput list" or pretty much any application that uses XI2.

fwiw, the reason I pushed this in now is because I didn't want anyone to
have that library still around when the X server patches hit rawhide.
plus, there's the odd chance that proprietary extensions can trigger this,
though I don't think any of these exist.

Cheers,
  Peter