submitters +1ing their own packages

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 19:33:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 18:38 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 01:02, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Is this a Bodhi bug? Or does FESCo expect voluntary compliance /
> > case-by-case enforcement of this policy?
>
> I'm guilty of this too; when I file an update that's not getting
> enough karma (after a few weeks) then I give it a spin in a *fresh* VM
> and test it out like any normal user would do. If this is wrong,
> consider my wrists slapped, but otherwise I think it makes sense and
> gets things moving.

FWIW, I wasn't aware of the policy of not +1-ing my own updates.

My approach here (for python/python3) has been that if the patch looks
sane and passes the selftest suite, then I'll apply it and create the
update.  I've then been doing additional testing e.g. dogfooding the
package for a while.  If I'm happy with my subsequent testing, then I'll
+1 my own update, on the grounds that I've been viewing the change from
a testing perspective, rather than just from a development perspective.
If not, I'll -1 it.

I don't feel guilty about doing this additional testing and reporting.

[See also http://dmalcolm.livejournal.com/5013.html for more notes on
ways of improving QA of Bodhi candidate updates]

Hope this is helpful
Dave