submitters +1ing their own packages

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 20:28:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 22:18 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> It is easy to go in circles if everyone is using "+1" with a different
> meaning. If you read carefully what I quoted you will notice that I
> quoted a proposal to allow +1 comments only from submitters for non
> critpath updates. If we use your meaning of "+1 comments from
> submitters" this means that the proposal is to add an audit trail only
> for non critpath updates. I am pretty sure that you do not mean this.
>
> So your proposal is probably to allow +1 comments from submitters, but
> do not use it to calculate the karma value of an update. But this is a
> technical detail. Even with allowing a direct push to stable instead of
> using a complex karma calculation formula you will have an audit trail
> in Bodhi, because Bodhi creates a comment about this as well. And you
> can as well revoke the direct-push-to-stabe direct-push-to-stabe feature
> from misbehaving maintainers.

That's true, though we still lose the wrinkle that an explicit +1 from a
maintainer is a clear statement that "I have actually tested this code".
A direct submission to stable is not such a statement, though we could
write up the policy in such a way that it was assumed to be one.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey