openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Sep 12 02:46:00 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011 06:19 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> Maybe there needs to be a classification for rawhide similar to the
>> karma system for updates-testing, but limited to just a set of packages
>> that should just always work (maybe openssh would be one).  For such
>> packages, there should be a test validation set that the maintainer runs
>> to automatically allow the package into rawhide.
>
> NO! Just no!
>
> We cannot do any useful development if we have to wait 10+ days (1 push
> delay + 7 full days + 1 (another) push delay) for any of our changes to get
> out. The push delays alone are enough of a PITA even if the 7-day delay is
> set to 0 days for Rawhide.
>
> This karma model doesn't even work well for releases, it'd be completely
> insane for Rawhide.
>
> We just need people to grasp that Rawhide is NOT suitable for any sort of
> production use and that it WILL break. (Not "may", "will"!) As they say:
> "Rawhide eats babies!"
>
> If people have to run Rawhide to get the current software they need, then
> THAT is the problem we must fix (and in fact one of the major advantages of
> Fedora used to be that this was NOT the case, but recent policy changes made
> it more and more the case!). Making Rawhide suitable for production use is
> about as realistic as making nuclear fission without radioactive waste.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

Didn't say like, said similar.  Don't you test your changes somehow?  Or
do you just toss the mods over the wall and hope for the best?  I don't
think so.  Share your test cases for those packages that should just
work--not all packages.  Forget that the changes are for rawhide and
forget "that Rawhide is NOT suitable for any sort of
production use and that it WILL break. (Not "may", "will"!)"  I bet
every developer and maintainer has pride in their work and products and
really don't want to put untested changes into any distro.

I am willing to test and test and test, but need test cases for most
things, especially esoteric bugs that are hard to duplicate.

Just because its rawhide doesn't mean we just throw our hands up and say
"oh its just rawhide" and ignore sound development, coding and testing
methods and ignore good engineering principles.

--
Regards,
OldFart