openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 08:02:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 08:56 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I thought AutoQA was going to do this, but it's been disappointing.

AutoQA is under active development, still. It's a complex project.
Especially being able to automate this kind of high level functionality
testing is tricky: remember, to properly test OpenSSH, we'd need to set
up two separate installations with current packages and then connect one
to the other, all without any kind of human interaction and with 100%
reliability - any breakdown in the *testing mechanism* which is
misrepresented as a failure in the *thing being tested* tends to make
people scream bloody murder. Rome wasn't built in a day, etc etc.

(But hey, at least it's not automated GUI testing!)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey