Development to release quality (was: Re: openssh: no pre-release sanity check?)

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Mon Sep 12 11:57:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 13:43 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> If something fails to COMPILE, this actually hinders development. In fact,
> I'm one of the first ones to yell if package builds in Rawhide are broken
> (due to some dependency breakage or whatever). Something failing to RUN is a
> wholely different matter, which is not covered by the average "don't break
> trunk" rule (which is usually about compilability).

I disagree. The "don't break trunk" rule is about other people's changes
not getting in the way of the work you're doing. There's no qualitative
difference, really, between software that doesn't compile and software
that compiles but doesn't run.

So, in this instance, sure - if you have a library which cannot be
linked to and thus prevents you building your package, that's an obvious
road-block. But if you can build your package but the resulting package
doesn't work, is that any less a road-block? I guess if you adhere to
the "eats babies" principle you can still toss it out there and consider
it done; personally, I would consider it a road-block.

I would love to see many more automated sanity checks and QA tools
available in the build process, like AutoQA, but these should be in
addition to what a maintainer is already doing - I'd hope/expect that
95% of the time these aren't catching any problems. They're just another
check.

So, as an obvious example, I don't upload packages when I know I'm not
going to be around for a few days afterwards. No automatic tool is ever
going to enforce that, it's a purely personal cultural thing. I do this
because I know when stuff breaks it's vastly more noticeable at weekends
or other times when maintainers aren't around to clean up.

I consider it to be good practice, and polite behaviour, even though the
stuff I'm pushing probably doesn't affect many people at all. But I do
it because I don't want my stuff eating babies.

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com