openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 14:26:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 13:37 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > If you continue to consider it a feature,  it justifies (in your mind)
> > pushing broken packages into the repository but it does affect release
> > versions as well because we have to catch and fix bugs much later.   If
> > you maintain any of the critical path packages, it would be very useful
> > to test them more instead of just a mad version number chase.
>
> That's exactly why we should go back to just untagging broken packages
> instead of requiring pointless Epoch bumps in Rawhide. Then the breakage
> will just get downgraded away before any release.

We shouldn't revert to untagging broken packages in Rawhide just to make
it less consequential for people to break stuff. We should revert to
untagging broken packages because bumping epoch is costlier in the long
run as epoch is often disregarded. People using Rawhide should probably
use "yum distro-sync" rather than "yum update".

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty