submitters +1ing their own packages

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 15:05:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 07:06 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Nils Philippsen <nils at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 13:16 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >> I don't think a maintainer can realistically replace wide-spread user
> >> based testing in a variety of environments.
> >
> > I didn't argue that this would be the case, but rather that persons who
> > are developers/package maintainers can also wear a tester's hat as long
> > as they can keep these roles separate.
> >
> >>   In light of that, we can
> >> either accept a maintainer +1 as "I tested this as I would use it and
> >> it worked" (which should be implied by them submitting the update
> >            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> already anyway), or we can disallow it as the policy says.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > No, implicitly assuming that the final package was tested just because a
> > maintainer submitted it is wrong in my eyes. To me, a maintainer
> > submitting an update simply means "I've built (a) new package(s) which
> > should fix these problems, now it/they can be tested." It shouldn't make
> > a shred of difference if a person testing an update package is a
> > maintainer or not in this process.
>
> I meant that it should be implied that the package maintainer already
> did some amount of testing on the package before they submitted it as
> an update.  A basic minimum touch test that it doesn't break things,
> etc.  This is entirely outside the updates process and just common
> sense good practice.

And this is just what you get when I submit an update, but don't confuse
that with a +1 karma -- I'll only give that to actual packages which I
have tested on a live system. In reverse, most times only updates for
the distro I've running at the moment will get this, unless I bother to
fire up a different VM for testing.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty