pcre 8.20 RC1 with JIT in F17

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 15:20:40 UTC 2011

I've just pushed release candidate of PCRE 8.20 into F17. The main
feature is voluntary just-in-time compilation of state automaton used to
match regular expression.

Application needs to enable JIT on compiled pattern by passing
PCRE_STUDY_JIT_COMPILE option to pcre_study() function before executing
pcre_exec() to find all matches.

The JIT brings some initial penalty but even single pcre_exec() can benefit
because of repetive matching of unanchored expression on a long data.

pcretest(1) tool provides new `-s+' option to enable JIT.

See pcrejit(3) for more details.

I hope nothig gets broken in rawhide because one needs to request JIT
explicitly. OTOH I'm not sure whether SELinux/NX will have some
objectives, maybe pax marker will be necessary on libpcre.

-- Petr