What do rawhide testers want and expect?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 10:12:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 09:57:34AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> In reading the long trash each other fest that accompanies pre-release
> jitters, could we start on a cleaner plate? What do the people who are
> using rawhide day-in/day-out expect out of the channel? What level of
> pain does someone like Jonathan Corbet expect and how can we better
> serve them? [And no this isnt me trying for another distro quote of
> the week, he is just my reference point of someone I know who runs
> rawhide day in and out.]
>
> In some cases, expectations may be off which means we need to market
> our deliverables better. In other cases, they may be looking for a
> better way to get attention to rawhide issues when everyone else is
> focused on F-XX-beta. In that case we can look at a mechanism that
> allows for less "zero-sum" game antics of elementary school yard "you
> suck, no you suck more" that the threads head towards.

I use Rawhide packages ad hoc on my laptop.

I also build and test packages in Koji using full-up Rawhide.

What would make my life a bit easier would be if the kernel and qemu
packages had a %check section that booted one on top of the other to
ensure that the combination vaguely works.  And fix it if it doesn't,
don't push out those broken packages.

Further along, it would be good if a few other critical bits did the
same thing (glibc and a few core libraries and tools).

Rich.