Kudos to Tom "Spot" Callaway

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 15:57:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 12:24 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:05:29PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
>
> > The fact that it is important for Fedora users, doesn't mean it must be
> > in the official Fedora repos (see MP3 codecs or other lovely programs in
> > non-Fedora repos). [...]
>
> I know.  I was just reacting to Adam's argument "Given that it's not a
> particularly vital package, [...]".  Other arguments are fine, as long
> as it's kept in mind that Chrome is more important than some might think.

I believe I agree with you [1] - but to be pedantic (sorry!) what Spot
is packaging is "Chromium", not "Chrome".  AIUI, the former is Free
Software, the latter is not.

I for one would love to have Chromium in Fedora proper (but alas I have
enough other things I've already committed to doing rather than sign up
to help fix all of the various packaging issues identified earlier in
this thread...   Whereas I'm not especially interested in having Chrome
in Fedora, given the non-Free bits I understand it adds)

Sorry again for the pedantry, but AIUI Chromium is in a different
category w.r.t Fedora inclusion compared to, say, MP3 support.

Hope this is helpful
Dave

[1] fwiw, Chromium is my day-to-day browser, mostly due to the
sandboxing/process separation feature, so that one buggy tab can't take
out all the other ones.