what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:27:32 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 10:56 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> Thats right!  Just wave your hands and say it is all ok that systemd
> is slower now but it is doing
> so much more and we will make it better in the future...!

I never said that what I said was it's irrelivent the startup time of a
service on a service platform which you should actually know yourself if
are used to run servers in a proper production deployment not in your
garage at back home.

> This was a simple test to start postgresql - what else needs to be done!

An simple test to measure this reliably is to strip down the legacy sysv
init script to the start up command only and have a strip down unit file
to the startup command only.

Then time the startup of either.

I would be surprised if there was any measurable difference by all means
since this seems so important to you test it.

JBG