what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Bernd Stramm bernd.stramm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:11:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:35:47 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2011/9/13 Tom Lane<tgl at redhat.com>:
> > I used this service file on F15 and it starts slower
> >    4214ms postgresql.service
> >
> > if we compare with an old SysVinit script
> >    2469ms postgresql.service
>

> First of all you cant reliably measure startup performance between
> legacy sysv init script and a native systemd unit since either one of
> those might be doing less/more.

As far as I understand it, systemd follows a dependendy dag, starting
every node (service) as soon as possible. There is no guarantee that
this will _always_ finish everything sooner than some other, arbitrary
ordering. In this kind of environment, usually it will go faster, but
not always.

--
Bernd Stramm
bernd.stramm at gmail.com