what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:12:47 UTC 2011

> Is systemd boot actually any faster?  There seems to be no
> noticable difference in boot times for me over whatever we
> were using in F14.  ie. both methods still takes ages, far
> longer than should be necessary.

We arent optimising the default desktop install live or otherwise for an
actual desktop install. It's currently aimed at "Generic" or "Corporate
" installs.

This is my HP Pavilion DM1 laptop bootup time with rooms for improvement
after minor tweaking on rotating media with no loss of functionality
what so ever.

# systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 5761ms (kernel) + 11938ms (userspace) = 17700ms

I'm assuming the kernel time improves once we turn off debugging in it.

Afaik none of the *DE groups are properly tweaking things for their
target audience.

Anything above 4 seconds on ssd's would I consider unacceptable ( I
think Lennart and Kay are booting around s1><4s second on those )

JBG