what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 15:28:58 UTC 2011

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Miloslav_Trma=E8?= <mitr at volny.cz> writes:
> 2011/9/14 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
>> An simple test to measure this reliably is to strip down the legacy sysv
>> init script to the start up command only and have a strip down unit file to
>> the startup command only.
>>
>> Then time the startup of either.

> Why?  The current numbers show that the service file is _slower_ even
> when the old init script is supposedly doing much more work in shell.
> If anything, stripping the unessential parts should make the service
> file _even slower_ in relative terms.

Yes.  The unit file is already stripped down: it does nothing except
"pg_ctl start".  The init script had accumulated a whole lot of
perhaps-unnecessary sanity-checking, which frankly I'd rather have kept
but the systemd mantra seems to be "no shell scripting" so I didn't.

Michal's numbers look pretty damning, and I find it remarkable that the
systemd advocates seem to have managed not to read them, let alone admit
that they suggest something's seriously wrong.

			regards, tom lane