what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:54:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 17:47 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2011/9/14 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> > On 09/14/2011 02:22 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >> Is systemd boot actually any faster?  There seems to be no
> >> noticable difference in boot times for me over whatever we
> >> were using in F14.  ie. both methods still takes ages, far
> >> longer than should be necessary.
> >
> > We arent optimising the default desktop install live or otherwise for an
> > actual desktop install. It's currently aimed at "Generic" or "Corporate
> > " installs.

> > Anything above 4 seconds on ssd's would I consider unacceptable ( I
> > think Lennart and Kay are booting around s1><4s second on those )
>
> I use ssd.
>
> Startup finished in 1819ms (kernel) + 2495ms (initrd) + 8013ms
> (userspace) = 12328ms
>
> The slowest part is
>   3633ms mysqld.service
>   2288ms postgresql.service
> old versions that are better than native services.

I think Johann's 1-4s scenario assumes a basic desktop configuration and
a tweaked startup config aimed at such a system. Such a system would not
have two big database engines starting up, but zero. =)

The lowest I've seen on my system, which is quick and has a third-gen
SSD in it, is 8s, but I haven't made any tweaks to startup config at
all.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey