what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:51:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's what I did:
> 4. Note the time from the first "date" output to the "database system is
> ready to accept connections" message getting logged

Tom,

your methodology is sound. You're too kind to say but given the
"completion criteria" of both init V script and systemd unit file,
comparing their run times is a complete waste of time.

The same is likely to be true with any long-lived network service.

Thanks for steering the discussion towards something sane and productive.

> I'm seeing numbers consistently around 0.3 second for the unit file,
> and a bit less consistent but maybe 0.35 - 0.5 second for the script.

Makes sense.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions