Fedora 16 feels slow

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 14 20:59:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 14:16:16 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> The 'fix' for the F16 kernel is simply that, with the rc6 build,
> debugging has been disabled. debugging is never disabled in Rawhide
> kernels, so if debugging overhead is your problem, no Rawhide kernel is
> going to cure it. To check if this is the case, just grab the latest F16
> kernel - *not* the latest Rawhide kernel - and see if that improves
> things.

I think the degree of slow down now, compared with the past, makes this
issue a bug. If things are like they are now, I won't be running debug
kernels on my rawhide systems. It costs me too much time. It would be
nice to know why things changed, as maybe some adjustments could be made
(or a bug fixed) so that debug kernels can provide useful information
without making such a big impact.