[systemd-devel] question

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 14 22:32:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:48:48 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> When I had time to look at irc from $dayjob I noticed that I had been
> ping and what awaits me was this...
>
> " abadger1999: He's on what could only be usefully termed a crusade.
> It's actually somewhat damaging, but as long as nobody thinks that
> they're mandated to pay attention to him, it shouldn't hurt anything
> in the long run."
...snip...

I'd like to note that Toshio (abadger1999 on IRC) did in fact not say
this. It was someone else answering them.

That said, I'd refer to the following from the excellent freenode
catalysts page ( http://freenode.net/catalysts.shtml ):

Open-minded. It's easy to make assumptions about other people's
motivations. When you decide someone is behaving maliciously, you've
made an assumption about their motivation which may be difficult to
disprove. Try to make your assumptions about other people's motivations
as positive as possible.

Careful. Everything you say will be interpreted by the users with whom
you interact. Consider how your remarks will be interpreted before you
make them. Make sure the message you convey is the one you intend.

Courteous. Even under time pressure, courtesy costs little and
impresses people a lot. It's not about whether working with the person
is easy or difficult; it's about setting the right tone.

kevin