Fedora 16 feels slow

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 13:32:34 UTC 2011

> The 'fix' for the F16 kernel is simply that, with the rc6 build,
> debugging has been disabled. debugging is never disabled in Rawhide
> kernels, so if debugging overhead is your problem, no Rawhide kernel is
> going to cure it. To check if this is the case, just grab the latest F16
> kernel - *not* the latest Rawhide kernel - and see if that improves
> things.

FWIW I dloaded rc6 an although my machine wasn't especially slow it is
now very snappy and I can finally enjoy my SSD as I should have.

Also with the debug kernels my machine used to go in thermal shutdown
2/3 times a day while compiling or yum installing.

It hasn't happened so far.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York