grub / grub2 conflicts

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 15:50:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:46:34AM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 10:27 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >libguestfs, as I guess is well known, uses tools from the host in
> >order to manage guests.
>
> Honestly I don't think this is that well known, and looking at it
> I'm amazed this passed package review.  Why aren't you guys using
> any of the tools we've got to build images from packages instead of
> installing things on the host?  This is terribly bad behavior.

I'm assuming you mean 'appliance-creator'?  This tool isn't really
suitable; it's doing something quite different from what libguestfs
needs/uses.  They're solving different problems.

I'd suggest that you familiarize yourself with how libguestfs goes
about it first.  It's pretty well documented and I've included some
links below.  Then if there specific packaging issues that could be
solved better then I'm very interested to know.

Rich.

For an overview of what libguestfs is:
http://libguestfs.org/

For an overview of the supermin appliance that we use and how it
is made:
http://libguestfs.org/febootstrap.8.html
http://libguestfs.org/febootstrap-supermin-helper.8.html
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/tip-creating-throwaway-appliances-with-febootstrap/
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/supermin-appliance-now-in-febootstrap/

For some more specifics on the internals of libguestfs:
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#internals