what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 09:05:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 14:32 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>    --------------
>   (i) Server.
>    --------------
>
>       These run all the time - reboots are most often in maintenance
> window (or evenings / weekends for home servers) primarily if not soely
> for kernel updates.
>
>        *** boot time pain more occasional fsck costs and not service startup
>
>        Pain caused by O/S updates - rolling release model would be ideal
> for these.

When I was dabbling with HA clustering (which was admittedly a long time
ago), there were environments with cold standby nodes (cold as in
"off"). If the hot node went down, the cluster management software
switched these standby nodes on, which booted normally then. In that
case, a small boot time would have been very appreciated. I'm not sure
if such scenarios are used nowadays.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty