how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:26:50 UTC 2011

On 16 September 2011 17:36, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Here is how yum does comparison between multiple package providing the
> same thing:
> http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/CompareProviders

I don't think that works for all cases; surely "grid-certificates = 2"
wins over "grid-certificates = 1" in all cases? It's certainly better
than relying on the length of the package name or alphabetical
ordering...

In Zif, I'm doing something like:

* Filter by best arch
* Filter by depend version
* Filter by native arch
* Filter by smallest name
* Filter by newest

...and this seems to work well as normal people don't want to drag
non-native architecture packages onto their system for an update and
want to follow the latest provide version (even if that means
installing additional deps). The current logic where yum wants to
install a hundred i686 packages on my x86_64 box when the repos get a
bit screwy doesn't seem to work very well in my opinion.

Richard.