how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 16 17:43:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:31 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16 September 2011 17:36, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Here is how yum does comparison between multiple package providing the
> >> same thing:
> >> http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/CompareProviders
> <snip>
> > In Zif, I'm doing something like:
>
> I don't particularly care how the best provider is selected, but
> having different tools use different rules is not acceptable.

having different tools is not acceptable. Especially when one of them is
not even remotely covering the use cases of our actual users.

I think I'm going to suggest to fesco that all non-yum depsolvers be
removed from the distribution. It just creates more work than it does
value.

If someone wants to ship a depsolver in their own repo on fedorapeople,
that's fine but providing it in the distro is just a mistake.

-sv