noarch vs missing deps

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 18:20:13 UTC 2011

On 21:17:50 Friday 16 September 2011 Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> the same problem happened against which i try to discuss earlier.
> gstreamer-java is pure java package so it'd have to package as a noarch
> package. which is true and can be working. but it has a subpackage
> gstreamer-java-swt which is depend on eclipse-swt but still arch
> independent. but when i try to build it in fedora's mock it goes most of
> the time (as the noarch packages used to) to the ppc build server which
> are try to satisfy it's buildreq. but it's depend on libswt3-gtk2 (which
> is provided by eclipse-swt). but as eclipse can't be build on ppc (at
> least i assume so) the ppc build server can't build it. even if the
> resulting jar can be used/run even on windows!?
> the worst part that i can't write ExcludeArch into a noarch rpm since
> rpm do not allow it.
> what is the solution? do i really have to make it none noarch?
> or try richard's solution ie. try a few build and if it's choose x86
> build server then i lucky!:-(

This was discussed a number of times and last times there was idea about
adding dist-$version-noppc (you get the idea) target to koji to allow
requesting noppc builders for exactly this problem.
But until(if) this is done I see no other way than submiting builds until they
hit noppc builders. At least I do that often.

Regards,
Alexander Kurtakov