how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 16 18:52:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:48 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2011/9/16 Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz>:
> > How about the 1126 members of the "packager" group - i.e. most of us -
> > that would have to create and maintain packages compatible with two
> > different systems?
>
> That's nonsense, sorry. Zif is quite capable of using the same
> metadata as yum and performing the same function with the same set of
> packages.

Not if Zif is coming up with different results for providers.

Since you've developed entirely in your own silo I suspect you've failed
to discover the bevy of edge and corner cases which plague package
management.

You should consider working with the packaging team. They have a
combined experience and history of rpm and yum with millions and
millions of installs and users of each to draw from.

-sv