how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 16 19:08:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 20:02 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Is Zif a SAT solver?
>
> We could really use a SAT solver to replace the current yum depsolver.

no, it is not a satsolver.

1. a satsolver is not the panacea that is purported to be - you end up
with some funny resolutions that do satisfy the requirements but not
sensibly.

2. a satsolver is going to require changing around how we truck the
repodata around a good bit.

3. if a satsolver is implemented it needs to be done so that anaconda
can use it too. Not to mention mock, the compose tools, masher, etc.

All of our tools go through yum - if we want to change things - doing it
in yum makes for a lot fewer code changes to everything else - not to
mention the code we don't control which uses it.

-sv