how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:11:49 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 08:49 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 18:26 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> The current logic where yum wants to install a hundred i686
>> packages on my x86_64 box when the repos get a bit screwy doesn't
>> seem to work very well in my opinion.
>
> There are still a largish number of packages out there that have things
> like:
>
> Requires: foo
>
> where they really want:
> Requires: foo(64bit)
>
> Which causes the other path you're describing.

I'd much prefer if yum depsolver could handle this instead of making
everyone use kludges like %{_isa} in the spec files. It's perfectly fine
if rpm accepts the "wrong" arch. Yum, however, should be tailored for
the way we are doing multilib in Fedora and just do the right thing.

I would be hard pressed to find any real life case where picking the 32
bit package instead of the 64 bit one would give any advantage, provided
that both are coming from Fedora repos.

Seth, have you considered making arch distance give more than the 5
points it currently has in the yum depsolver scoring logic?

--
Kalev