how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:22:11 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 01:02 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> SAT is pretty awesome, and there are some pretty clever guys who have
> got it to work really well with zypp. I can't say I understand all the
> subtle nuances, but it's clearly better than an iterative depsolver
> with random rules to steer things in the right direction. Plus, once
> you've populated the .sat files, it's really fast.

If you have decided you are going to do something different with Zif
anyway, you might as well as work with the zypper team and see whether
you can make something out of it.  So much of what we do in Fedora is
built around yum though and I don't know what you have planned but go
through years of subtle bugs in a new dep resolver stops being funny
quickly.

Rahul