how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Sep 17 06:21:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 02:52:58AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > That you've implemented a depsolver for use with PK that does not match
> > yum nor anaconda is pretty bad. You've chosen intentional
> > incompatibility. That's neither helpful nor really embodying the goals I
> > like to think of in fedora.
>
> It's quite funny that you're accusing Richard of being incompatible with yum
> when the incompatibilities that matter most to our users have been required
> by yum developers, in particular:
> * no writing to the yum database by default,
> * no parsing yum.conf by default.

... and no way to access yum information from anything other than
Python, which makes it harder to use more professional programming
languages and yum data together.  I had to write a whole bit of code
that spawned a Python process to get some dependency data, write it to
a file, and parse that back in to the real program.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v