how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 10:59:48 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 06:22 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> It's quite funny that you're accusing Richard of being incompatible with yum
> when the incompatibilities that matter most to our users have been required
> by yum developers, in particular:
> * no writing to the yum database by default,
> * no parsing yum.conf by default.

Adding a conflicts to yum against zif was a inappropriate use of
conflicts and must have been resolved in a better way.  The animosity
between people working on competing solutions is leading to a proposal
which really wouldn't fly.  Having said that,  I think zif needs to be
command line compatible and support delta RPMs by default for it to be
the default backend for the desktop and I really don't think desktop
environments should have a different dep resolver from the rest of
Fedora.   I don't know if I want to use zif yet but Richard Hughes
should aim for a comprehensive solution instead of just addressing the
PackageKit problem in a narrow way because I think the problem
PackageKit is facing is also true for other tools.  Libguestfs has
already come out as an example.

Rahul