how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Sat Sep 17 13:14:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 03:38:55AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > If you have decided you are going to do something different with Zif
> > anyway, you might as well as work with the zypper team and see whether
> > you can make something out of it.  So much of what we do in Fedora is
> > built around yum though and I don't know what you have planned but go
> > through years of subtle bugs in a new dep resolver stops being funny
> > quickly.
>
> Unfortunately, zypp has some design flaws of its own. In particular, it
> spawns the rpm command line as an external process for some operations
> instead of using librpm as it's supposed to (yet other operations use the
> library).

libzypp is actually a library on top of libsatsolver (now renamed
to libsolv). If you want a lightweight package dependency solver
you should probably use libsolv directly.

(It also contains python bindings and a simple python demo program
which uses a single rpm transaction to do the work.)

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg