how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Sep 18 18:22:29 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 08:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 01:02 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On 16 September 2011 20:02, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>> Is Zif a SAT solver?
>> No, but I've been playing a few times with libsatsolver in the past year or so.
>
> Since Panu Matilainen has said that he is willing to merge in a
> depsolver in RPM directly,  that seems to be the optimal choice at this
> point.   IMO,  you should work with Michael Schröder and Panu Matilainen
> to do that.  If we  (Red Hat, SUSE etc)  have a fighting chance to
> standardize on a single depsolver that is a really big win.

I've a feeling people are going to interpret the "merge a depsolver into
rpm" thing in various different ways, lets clarify this a bit:

I'm talking about means of having all the rpm-related tools use the same
abstract dependency resolution algorithm though an API. Whether that is
/in/ rpm, or something that rpm itself /uses/ (and possibly further
exports via its own API) is not terribly relevant to that goal.

What I'm NOT talking about is turning rpm into
yum/zif/apt/smart/zypp/urpmi kind of tool which deal with concrete
repositories, downloading information from them etc.

	- Panu -