how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:11:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM, tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
<tim.lauridsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> Debian policy is that any virtual dependencies must also have an
>>> explicit dependency. In your case it would be something like
>>>
>>> Requires: phonon-backend-gstreamer | phonon-backend
>>
>> Unfortunately, RPM does not support this idiom.
>>
> <trolling>
> Why don't you just replace rpm, with deb too, while you are at it ?
> </trolling>

Well as long as the tools we are talking about
1) Do use rpm
2) Do valid dependency resolution (i.e not --nodeps or something like that)

I don't see why we shouldn't allow them.

lets say

yum install foo does:
foo, bar1, baz1

$nonyumtool install foo does:
foo, bar2, baz2

Both bar1/baz1 and bar2/baz2 are valid deps for foo (both statify the
dependency).

So why would it matter what in the end?
If that causes "bugs" then either of the deps are wrong (and the
packages in question ought to be fixed).

So I don't get what this flamefest is all about ...