how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Mon Sep 19 16:25:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:05:47AM -0500, Matyas Selmeci wrote:
> I see. So 'Suggests' means it gets automatically installed (unless it
> explicitly conflicts with something already install I presume?), but
> can be removed without breaking the package it was brought in for
> (unless no other package provides the phonon-backend dependency).
> Do I have that right?

Actually 'Recommends' should be used when you want automatic
installation. Suggests is more a hint for the user.
Depsolvers often also use it to break ambiguities, so when
multiple packages provide some dependency, the suggested one
is chosen.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg