Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 13:01:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 13:53 +0200, Johannes Lips wrote:
> What's wrong with all that broken deps? Is this just a missing rebuild
> against opencv and other libs or what's the reason for all this
> "mess". I mean the release of F16 is not that far away and the amount
> of broken deps is quite big imho.
> I would be glad helping out if this is due to some orphaned packages.

Some of these seem to be a case of "new library version was built and
pushed as an update without the rebuilds of dependent components". It
seems to be unclear who is responsible for the dependents to be rebuilt
and included in the same update as the library being updated. Currently
I only see mails of maintainers who plan updating the library, but the
rest of it pretty much depends on the maintainers of the depending
components rebuilding them quickly enough, and the original maintainer
to include them in the F-16 branched update.

I'd like to see a discussion about how we can ensure -- within
reasonable limits -- that e.g. bumping a library's SONAME is followed by
dependent components being rebuilt and included with the providing
component in one update.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty