Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:06:31 UTC 2011

2011/9/20 Nils Philippsen <nils at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 13:53 +0200, Johannes Lips wrote:
>> What's wrong with all that broken deps? Is this just a missing rebuild
>> against opencv and other libs or what's the reason for all this
>> "mess". I mean the release of F16 is not that far away and the amount
>> of broken deps is quite big imho.
>> I would be glad helping out if this is due to some orphaned packages.
>
> Some of these seem to be a case of "new library version was built and
> pushed as an update without the rebuilds of dependent components". It
> seems to be unclear who is responsible for the dependents to be rebuilt
> and included in the same update as the library being updated. Currently
> I only see mails of maintainers who plan updating the library, but the
> rest of it pretty much depends on the maintainers of the depending
> components rebuilding them quickly enough, and the original maintainer
> to include them in the F-16 branched update.
I'm the maintainer of opencv here.

quick answear: I have no right to submit a bodhi update for packages I
do not own. Given that I'm no in the provenpackager group.
So as I cannot expect every single maintainers to respond in time, the
consequence is that I depend on a provenpackager to do the whole task
of "administrative rebuilt of dependent packages".
Unfortunately it became a way more complicated task with the collapse
of two bodhi tickets and others unexpected behaviour.

Nicolas (kwizart)