Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 15:52:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 15:19 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 03:01 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 13:53 +0200, Johannes Lips wrote:
> >> What's wrong with all that broken deps? Is this just a missing rebuild
> >> against opencv and other libs or what's the reason for all this
> >> "mess". I mean the release of F16 is not that far away and the amount
> >> of broken deps is quite big imho.
> >> I would be glad helping out if this is due to some orphaned packages.
> >
> > Some of these seem to be a case of "new library version was built and
> > pushed as an update without the rebuilds of dependent components". It
> > seems to be unclear who is responsible for the dependents to be rebuilt
> > and included in the same update as the library being updated.
>
> When you have a closer look, you'll notice that such "mass rebuilts"
> were being delayed by QA's "delay queue" and now are stuck.

I didn't want to (re)start that particular discussion ;-).

We need some guidelines who should drive rebuilds in such a situation,
regardless of whether it happens in Rawhide or Branched or wherever.
Otherwise we'll end up with nobody doing the driving.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty