Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Sep 20 18:41:11 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 09:18 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>
>> My personal pet-peeve with the current branching policy is that the
>> mass-branching happens way way too early for packages where there are no
>> significant new development to be introduced in rawhide during branched
>> state. So for every single tiny fix that needs to go in, it needs to be
>> built into rawhide and also branched. Minor annoyance maybe but annoying
>> things tend to get negletted - perhaps this is one of the reasons for
>> rawhide lagging behind branched.
>
> This isn't quite correct. If you haven't built anything explicitly
> forRawhide since the branch point, the stable packages from the branched
> repo will be inherited into rawhide.
>
> You still should merge your changes from the branch up to master
> (forrawhide) but there is no reason to do a build. Let the build system
> inheritance take care of that.

Oh, I certainly wasn't aware of that. And I would've expected this to
work the other way around (because doing new work in a branch instead of
rawhide just feels wrong to me, but there's obviously a point to doing
it this way), but good to know, thanks.

> One change to make this better might be to move the inheritance
> pointto updates-testing so that things built from the fresh branch are
> immediately inherited into rawhide.

As long as it's rawhide inheriting from branched, that sounds like a
winner to me. Who knows, might even get those test-updates a bit of
additional testing.

	- Panu -