F17 process change proposal

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 03:55:17 UTC 2011

Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 01:08:56 +0300,
>   Kalev Lember <kalevlember at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With my proposal, Branched and rawhide would have exactly the same
>> package set during the Alpha Freeze - Beta Freeze time frame. That way,
>> we'd have a month to let users choose whether they want to stay on the
>> Branched or on the rawhide track.

> I'd still like to be able to play with new stuff that might not be ready
> by beta, in rawhide during that time.

Yeah.  This proposal seems like it breaks one of the fundamental process
improvements we already made, namely No Frozen Rawhide.  I don't have a
problem with Kalev's goal of reducing the amount of overhead for
maintainers who only want to update rawhide and branched together, but
I do object to doing that by preventing maintainers who want to push
rawhide forward from doing so.

>> Technically it should be easy to accomplish by having the fedora-release
>> package obsolete older fedora-release-rawhide packages during that time
>> frame. Anyone updating their rawhide systems would get the updated
>> fedora-release package that contains yum configuration for F17 Branched.

> I don't particularly have a problem with people getting branched by
> default at branch time.

I don't really care which is the default; whichever it is, the need is
to make it reasonably simple to choose the other.  But locking rawhide
down in pursuit of such a goal is the Wrong Thing.

			regards, tom lane