Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 21 13:51:06 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 01:25 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 22:25 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> I didn't want to (re)start that particular discussion ;-).
>>   >
>>> We need some guidelines who should drive rebuilds in such a situation,
>>> regardless of whether it happens in Rawhide or Branched or wherever.
>> a) These situation can only happen in release branches.
>
> Uhm, no. A library SONAME bump can happen in Rawhide as well as in
> branches and if dependent packages don't get built with the new version,
> things are broken.
Right. They break in rawhide, where issues are inevitable and can be
addressed within short terms because maintainers are not being forced to
play "10 days per package update" "you wait for me/I wait for you" delay
ping-pong.

Or am I misunderstanding? Are you referring to points in time when
"stable fedoras" are being sync'ed and inherit "broken deps" during this
fork? If this happens, something would be very defective with Fedora's
rel-eng's procedures.

The situation currently to be found in f16 is "longer dep chains" being
in inconsistent build-state (showing as broken deps), because fixed
packages in *-testing did not make it into "stable" in time because of
these QA delays and because Fedora policies _forbit_ fixing these at
this point in time.

> Waiting for dependent components to be built at their
> maintainers leisure or whenever a mass rebuild comes around isn't a
> solution, not if we want to have a "more stable Rawhide".

To we want this? I don't. To me, rawhide is the "big package dumping
ground" for the bleading edge". Certainly, it should be as little broken
as possible, but "its brokenness" is part of its working principle and
inevitable to me. That said, I find a stable "rawhide" to be
nonrealisting and inapplicable.

Ralf